Groundswell Wood Surfboards are a green choice. Wood offers a natural alternative to synthetic materials and the boards are long-lasting, eliminating the need for replacement.Nobody has done a “tree to sea” analysis when it comes to wood boards, but here are the environmental credentials of Groundswell Hollow Wood Surfboards:
- Correctly looked after, wood boards will last longer than foam counterparts. This means that while there is an environmental footprint in the initial production of the board, there are no further emissions that would usually be associated with the constant replacement of a surfboard with a shorter life span.
- Wood is not artificially manufactured – it is a natural product that can be replaced;
- Groundswell Surfboards uses glue and epoxy resin, but this makes up only about 5% of the surfboard’s volume. The other 95% of the surfboard is made of wood and is thus biodegradable.
- Groundswell Surfboards makes every attempt to recycle wood off-cuts and to use recycled wood wherever possible.
- Transport emissions are a major cause of climate change. Groundswell Surfboards is making an effort to use wood that is grown in South Africa wherever this is possible. We also make an effort to use wood that is sustainably grown, although in our experience suppliers are often not aware of the certification credentials of wood.
For a previous post on this issue click here.